BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER IN AMERICA

bicycle accident lawyer
bicycle accident lawyer in america

Any bicycle accident lawyer can tell you that bike accidents in the United States kill or injure many miles every year.

Many motorists promote the misconception that bicycles do not belong on public roads, which is simply wrong. Cyclists have the same legal right to use public roads as motor vehicles. Too often motorized vehicles are unaware of these rules or don’t obey them. And unfortunately, this bias often follows cyclists through the personal injury justice system.

If you were injured in a bike accident, you have every right to claim compensation from those responsible for your accident. To be successful, you need the right bicycle accident lawyer.

Bicycle Accident Lawyer: Bicycle Crash Statistics

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), there were 467,000 bike accident injuries in 2015, resulting in lifetime medical costs and $10 billion in lost productivity. In 2016, there were 840 bicycle-related deaths in the United States.

71% of fatal bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is mostly heavy, and a maximum of accidents occur during the day. Most bike accidents occur during the evening rush hour between 6:00 p.m. my reading 6:00 p.m. M. until reading 20:59

Causes of Bicycle Accidents

Motor vehicle accidents cause 90% of bicycle accident fatalities and are more likely to result in catastrophic accidents simply because they are larger, heavier and faster than a bicycle. Also, cyclists don’t have as much protection as someone in a car.

Some of the most common causes of collisions are:

A motor vehicle cuts off a bicycle entering the roadway.
A motor vehicle turns right and cuts off a bicyclist traveling straight ahead.
A motor vehicle leaves behind a bicycle trying to maneuver around a parked car in the bike lane.
The driver of a parked car, truck or van opens the door for a bicyclist.
The bicyclist is traveling against oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road.
A motorist or bicyclist runs over a traffic light or a stop sign.
The bicyclist makes an unpredictable or dangerous movement.

However, most bicycle accidents do not involve motorized vehicles. Motor vehicle accidents account for only about 30% of all bicycle accidents. The other 70% caused by other issues can still be very serious and lead to successful lawsuits. Other causes of bicycle accidents are:

A cyclist falls off his bike because of a bad road surface.
The bike is defective, damaged or poorly repaired.
A cyclist falls off his bike after an animal attack.
A cyclist collides with a pedestrian or another cyclist.
A cyclist falls off his bike due to loss of balance or intoxication.
A cyclist collides with an object such as road debris, a curb or a tree

Decreasing Your Accident Risk

Decreasing Your Accident Risk
Decreasing Your Accident Risk

There are some things you can do to reduce the risk of bicycle accidents or the severity of the hazards when they do occur:

Put a lid on it! Wearing a helmet is the most effective way to prevent head injuries as a result of a bicycle accident. The Journal of the American Medical Association estimates that wearing a helmet while bicycling reduces the risk of head injury by 50 percent and the risk of head, face, or neck injury by 33 percent.


Make a spectacle of yourself: Many bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles happen because the driver simply did not see the bicycle. Increase your visibility with lights on the front and rear of your bike and reflectors on the bike’s frame, tires and pedals. Use reflective or brightly colored strings when driving on the road, and especially when driving at night.


Don’t drink and drive or ride a bike: In 2016, 22% of fatal bicycle accidents involved intoxication, either by the driver or the bicyclist. Drunk cyclists experienced the same differences as drunk drivers, including changes in vision, reaction time, depth perception and judgment. While drunk bicycling is generally not taken as seriously as drunk driving, it is a criminal offense.

Find your personal injury lawyer in our directory with more than 1000 lawyers in the 50 states of America

Rate this post

isaac arias